- 2000 PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Dunarea de Jos University of Galati,Romania, in collaboration with The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research – RIKEN, Saitama, Japan, Awarded with distinction Cum Laude
- 1993 M.S./B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Major: Manufacturing Engineering, Dunarea de Jos University of Galati, Romania
Dr. Banu’s research focuses on lightweight materials, with emphasis on developing micro- and nanocellulose composites, natural fiber composites and associated manufacturing processes for automotive and aerospace applications, multi-scale modeling of materials and simulation of forming processes, manufacturing of personalized dental ligaplants.
At University of Michigan, Ann Arbor:
- 2013-present Research Associate Professor Mechanical Engineering Department
- 2014-present Technology Portfolio Manager LIFT Institute*
*LIFT Institute is the newest addition to the National Network of Manufacturing Innovation (NNMI), a White House initiative founded to help US manufacturers. LIFT is a public-private partnership that will develop and deploy advanced lightweight materials manufacturing technologies, and implement education and training programs to prepare the workforce. University of Michigan is one of the three co-founders and lead partner.
At Dunarea de Jos University of Galati, College of Mechanical Engineering, Romania:
- 2009-2012 Professor and Chair Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- 2007-2013 Professor Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- 2003-2007 Associate Professor Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- 2000-2003 Assistant Professor Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- 1995-2000 Research Fellow Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- 1993-1995 Assistant Research Fellow Mechanical Engineering
HONORS and AWARDS:
- 2018 Research Faculty Achievement Award, Office of Research, University of Michigan
- 2017 Kenneth M. Reese Outstanding Research Scientist Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan
- 2012 Excellence in Teaching and Research Award, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Romania
- 2012 TheBest Professor of the College of Engineering, Galati, Romania
- 2011 SelectedVice-President of National Accreditation Board for Industrial Engineering, Romanian Ministry of Education and Research
- 2011 TheBest Professor of the College of Engineering, Galati, Romania
- 2007 Distinguished Invited Associate Professor, University Paris 13, Galilee Institute, LPMTM-CNRS, France
- 2007 The Best Research Project Award,awarded by the Romanian Ministry of Education and Research
- 2005 Integration of Romanian Research at International Level Award, awarded by the Romanian Ministry of Education and Research
- 2006 First place in Top 25 of Sciencedirect for October-December 2006 with the article Towards an Accurate Description of the Anisotropic Behavior of Sheet Metals Under Large Plastic Deformations: Modeling, Numerical Analysis and Identification, International Journal of Plasticity, 22 – 12, 2226-2271, 2006
- 2006 Ninth place in Top 25 of Sciencedirect for October-December 2006with the articleSimulation of Springback and Wrinkling in Stamping of a Dual-Phase Steel Rail-Shaped Part, Journal of Material Processing Technology, 173 – 2, 178-184, 2006
- 2000 Japan Key Technology Award, Tokyo, Japan
- 1997 TEMPUS Fellowship at School of Engineering and Design, South Bank University, London, United Kingdom
- Link to Google Scholar profile
TEACHING AND MENTORING EXPERIENCE:
- ME382 – Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- MDP – Multidisciplinary Design Program
- Metal Forming Processes
- Composite Materials
- Non-conventional energy based processes (EDM, Laser, Ultrasonic)
- Production and Process Planning
- Optimization of Metal Forming Processes
- Concurrent Engineering
Ph.D. Committees chaired/co-chaired: (student name, period, role):
- Jaekwang Shin, 2016-2020, Candidate at the University of Michigan, Co-Chair
- TaeHwa Lee, 2016-2020, Candidate at the University of Michigan, Co-Chair
- Weiling Wen,2017-2021, Candidate at the University of Michigan, Co-Chair
Graduated: (student name, title of PhD thesis, role)
- Simona Patriche, November 2012, Atomic and continuum modeling of molecular motors functioning, Chair
- Mitica Afteni, December 2011, Modeling of the mechanical behavior of Nickel in micro-forming processes, Chair
- Olguta Marinescu, December 2011, Signal processing of the complex, multi-stage and cracked blisk systems response, Chair
- Florin Susac, December 2010, Optimization of the control parameters for precision casting processes, Chair
M.S. students advised/co-advised:
- 2019-2020 Zonta Owens – Master Student, Global Manufacturing, University of Michigan
- 2016-2017 Chun Wang – Master Student, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
- 2015-2016 Daniel Shriver – Master Student, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
- 2015-2016 Ziwei Zeng – Master Student, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
- 2013-2014 Liang Xi – Master Student, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
Other outreach mentoring activities at University of Michigan:
Coaching students for competitions
- 2018 Best of Session winner at MEUS in Fall 2018, Rana Dabaja
- 2017 MS&T Graduate Student Poster Contest, the 3rd place, Maya Nath, University of Michigan.
- 2017 TMS Bladesmithing Competition, with the theme “Austempering a Pattern Welded Knife”, February 26 – March 2, 2017, San Diego.
Entrepreneurial Contributions and Experience
- Co-founded “Optimal Materials LLC” start-up based on the material and technology filed within U.S. Patent Application no. 61/864,211 (PCT/US14/50454) (M. Banu main inventor), Natural fiber reinforced composite panels, Patent submitted (8/2014), 2014. This company is oriented on creating and manufacturing bamboo fiber reinforced composites for automotive and furniture applications.
- Entrepreneurial training – NSF Innovation Corps (I-Corps) Graduate, Michigan, 2013.
- Practicum within Tech Commercialization Working Group, Center of Entrepreneurship, University of Michigan, 2014.
- US 10184215 Patent, Natural fiber reinforced composite panels, Issued 12/2018.
- RO 123626 Patent, A precision electron mounting device for electrodischarge machining, Issued 01/2015.
- RO 126649 Patent, Method and equipment for modeling of thin metal sheets behavior during deep drawing process, Issued 04/2014.
- RO 125367 Patent, Method and equipment for determination of metal sheet formability, Issued 11/2013.
- RO 125366 Patent, Method of dimensional control of forming thin metal sheets, Issued 11/2013.
- RO 126481 Patent, Method for enhancing mechanical properties of polycrystalline metals through nanostructuring by severe plastic deformation, Issued 11/2013.
- RO 126340 Patent, Method and equipment for the on-line controlling of the stability during cutting processes, Issued 05/2011.
- RO 125009 Patent, Reconfigurable equipment for deep drawing, Issued 11/2011.
- RO 123274 Patent, Method and equipment for nanostructuring of the materials through severe plastic deformation, Issued 05/2011.
- RO 123138 Patent, Equipment for reconfigurable hydraulic deep-drawing, Issued 12/2010.
- UM-LIFT Disclosure no. 031-2019, Multi-Frame Device for Incremental Sheet Forming (Submitted 07/2018).
- UM Disclosure no. 270-2018, Dental implant with functionally graded properties and sensing (Submitted 01/2018).
- US PCT/US2016/037905 A1, Fastener and method for joining dissimilar materials, Patent submitted, (filling date 6/2016).
- US 2017/0361540 A1,GM-UM Joining Patent, Ultrasonic welding of joining dissimilar materials (filling date 6/2016).
Refereed conference summaries or abstracts:
- Patriche, R. Dinica, M. Banu, Insight into mechano-chemical properties of the interface between cellulose and thermoplastic polymers, European Conference for Aerospace Sciences, EUCASS 2013, Munich, Germany, July 2013.
- Banu, F. Pourboghrat, G. Gurau, Towards numerical simulation of ECAP using phenomenological models based on experimentally observations, ESAFORM 2013, Aveiro, Portugal, April 2013.
- Chair Technical Committee, Advanced Material Manufacturing, ASME, 2021-2023.
- Co-Chair Technical Committee, Advanced Material Manufacturing, ASME, 2019-2021.
- Invited member, The International Academy for Production Engineering-CIRP, Scientific Technical Committee for Forming Processes (STC– F),2018 to present.
- Expert Evaluator and Monitor, European Commission, Steel and Coal, Intelligent Factories, Space, Horizon 2020 Programs, 2010 – present.
- Panelist, National Science Foundation, May 2014, May 2015, September 2015. Reviewed more than 49
- Panelist, Romanian Agency for Scientific Research, Manufacturing Materials and Processes, September 2010. Reviewed10
- Panelist, European Structural Funds, Manufacturing Materials and Processes, September 2009. Reviewed 8 proposals.
- Panelist, Romanian Agency for Scientific Research, Manufacturing Materials and Processes, September 2009. Reviewed16
- Panelist, Romanian Agency for Scientific Research, Manufacturing Materials and Processes, May 2006. Reviewed 23
Organizer of Conferences, Workshops and Seminars (selection):
- Track Chair and Committee Member for Structures and Materials, Track: Structures and Materials, Advanced Materials and Material Technologies I,International Conference on Composites for Aerospace, EUCASS, Madrid, Spain, July 2019.
- Symposium Organizer and Co-Chair, NUMIFORM 2019, The 13th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Industrial Forming Processes, Symposium “Simulation of Lightweight Metals Forming for Future Transportation”, New Hampshire, USA, June 2019.
- Symposium Organizer and Chair,American Society for Composites 2017 Annual Technical Conference, Purdue, Indiana, October 2017, “High Performance Hybrid Natural Fiber Composites”.
- Track Chair,Track: Structural Materials, Advanced Materials and Material Technologies I, International Conference on Composites for Aerospace, EUCASS, Milan, Italy, July 2017,
- Symposium Organizer and Chair,American Society for Composites 2016 Annual Technical Conference, Williamsburg, VA, September 2016, “Biocomposites”.
- Symposium Organizer and Chair,American Society for Composites 2015 Annual Technical Conference, E. Lansing, Michigan September 2015, “Natural Fiber composites/Biocomposites”.
- Symposium Organizer and Co-Chair,International Conference on Composites for Aerospace, EUCASS, Munich, Germany, July 2013, “Polymer Matrix composites and Applications”.
- Scientific Committee, International Conference ModTech, Sinaia, Romania, May 2012.
- Scientific Committee, International Conference NEWTECH, Brno, Czech Republic, September 2011.
- Co-ChairInternational Conference NEWTECH, Galati, Romania, September 2009.
- Chair, Workshop on new developments of body car metal forming processes with participation of Dr. Hisashi Hayashi, President of Japanese Deep Drawing Group, Japan, September 2009.
- Chair, Workshop on modeling of nanostructured materials workshop with participation of Dr. Andrzej Rosochowski, Strathclyde University, Glasgow, United Kingdom, July 2007.
- Chair, Modeling the behavior of materials used in automotive industry, Romania – France Workshop with participation of Dr. Salima Bouvier and Dr. Monique Gasperini, Universite Paris 13, France, May 2006.
- Chair, Application of simulation techniques for biomedical structures, Romania – United Kingdom Workshop with participation of Dr. Christopher Kirk, University of Bath, United Kingdom, January 2006.
- Chair, Composite materials used in Airbus 380, Romania – France Workshop with participation of Dr.Phillipe Lours, Ecole des Mines d’Albi-Carmaux, France, March 2005.
- Chair, Modeling of microscopic structures obtained by changing the path of the deformation, Romania-France Workshop with participation of Dr. Salima Bouvier and Dr. Monique Gasperini, University Paris 13, France, April 2005.
- Chair, Springback in metal forming processes, Romania – Japan Workshop with the participation of Dr. Tsutomu Haeno and Dr. Koji Hashimoto, Nippon Steel Co, Forming Technologies R&D Center – Japan, November 1999.
- Chair, Modeling of the metal forming processes, Romania – France Workshop with participation of Dr. Cristian Teodosiu, Director of Mechanical and Thermodynamic Materials Properties Laboratory (LPMTM-CNRS), University Paris 13, Villetaneuse, France, April 1997.
- Chair, New algorithms for modeling of the metal forming simulation, Romania – France Workshop with participation of Dr. Jean-Loup Chenot, Dr. Adinel Gavrus,Centre of Material Forming – CEMEF CNRS – France, November 1996.
- Chair, Prediction of defects in metal forming, Romania – Japan Workshop with participation of Dr. Akitake Makinouchi, Director of Materials Fabrication Laboratory, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research – RIKEN, November 1995.
- Chair, Modeling of the metal forming processes, Romania – France Workshop with participation of Dr. Jean-Loup Chenot, Director of Centre of Material Forming CEMEF, Sophia Antipolis – France, December 1994.
Membership in Professional Organizations:
- Society of Manufacturing Engineering SME), since 2017
- Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE), since 2012
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), since 2010
- American Chemical Society (ACS), since 2007
- American Association for the Advancement of Science’s (AAAS), since 2005
- Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (SAEJ), 2004 – 2008
- European Scientific Association of Materials Forming (ESAFORM), since 1998
Peer-Reviews – Journals:
- ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Journal of Solid Mechanics
- Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
- International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping
- SME Journal of Manufacturing Processes
- Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- Journal of Solid Mechanics
- Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Peer Reviews – Conferences:
- NAMRC 2019, Penn State, Pennsylvania
- ASC 2017, Purdue, Indiana
- ASC 2016, Williamsburg, Virginia
- SAE 2016, Detroit, Michigan
- SAE 2015, Detroit, Michigan
- ASME-MSEC 2017 Conference, Los Angeles, California
- ASME-MSEC 2016 Conference, Blacksburg, Virginia
- ASME-MSEC 2015 Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina
- ASME-MSEC 2014 Conference, Detroit, Michigan
- SAE 2014, Detroit, Michigan
- WMSCI 2006 International Conference, Boston, Massachusetts
- Nanotech 2009 International Conference, Galati, Romania
- 3rdInternational Conference on Polymers, 2009, Galati, Romania
Committee Member Participation:
At the University of Michigan
- CoE, Leaders and Honors Selection Committee – Faculty Member, 2019
- CoE, Beyster Ph.D. Fellowship Review Committee – Faculty Member, 2019
- CoE, Center for Entrepreneurship CFE Faculty Committee, Member, 2018 – present
- ME Department, Advisory Committee, Alternate PRS Member, 2018 – present
- ME Department, Honors & Awards Committee, Member, 2017 – present
- ISD, Global Automotive and Manufacturing Program Committee, 2017 – present
- ME Department, Advisory Committee, PRS Member, 2017 – 2018
- ME Department, Seminar Organizing Committee, Member, 2015 – 2017
- Judge Memberfor Engineering Student Symposium, University of Michigan, 2012
At other organizations
- Member of the Ph.D. Committee for: Daniel Teodor Mindru, 2013, Nicolae Balcanuta, 2007, Ioana Bichis 2011,